Friday, May 28, 2010

Working on Derbi Too

So rosanna's new bike needed some love so every day I've been putting in a couple hours of wrenching before I head off to work. Apparently the cracked petcock is a chronic issue with derbis because when I looked into the body I noticed that the petcock on this bike had been replaced with a rubber grommet and just straight fuel line. Fuel line that was too big for any of the carb banjos I have. Finding myself covered in gas is becoming a disconcerting trend.
Here is the solution I (really Michael Mike) came up with:
makeshift petcock
I lathed a piece of delron to 16mm and then tapped it to fit this barb fitting. I'm going to get an inline fuel valve and then we should be good to go.

I should also mention that this last wednesday I had an opportunity to head to the Responsible Naz's Shop of Wonders. I worked like crazy trying to make progress on as many projects as possible. I was able to make seat supports for the pintos, lathe the above fuel adapter, lathe some lighter variator weights, Naz welded me a big intake for Rosanna's bike, and I discovered that one of her clutch pads has no mo material.

Here is the intake we made:
18mm derbi intake
And here it is in the frame with a nice little air filter. Also, you can see the fuel solution the previous owner came up with and how I had to use a socket to cut off the fuel flow:
phbg mounted in a piston port derbi

In related news, Rosanna got some new parts in the mail. We decided to try out this pipe made by Zen. So far it looks like a really quality pipe, spring mounted, hydroformed, and really solid construction.
Once we weld on a support brace it will be ready to rip.
Derbi Zen 65cc pipe
Spring Mount
Check out this support brace at the stinger, it's just one nice quality detail of this pipe:
Zen pipe lower re-enforcement

That's all for now! More later I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment