Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Gitter dun.

Let's stop for a moment and agree that "gitter done" is the worst, most inane phrase ever invented by a redneck comedian. It's not funny. IT'S NOT FUNNY!!! People of the world! Put down your KFC bucket and decide to be smarter and more discerning in your comedy choices.

Anyway, rants aside, Phil and I finished the bulk of the moped shed on Monday.

It was during one of the hardest continuous downpours in recent memory, but I was determined to see it through. See the determination on my face?

We put a gutter on the roof so that we wouldn't undermine my neighbors already dilapidated and rotting fence.

The only thing left to do is put a door on one end, wire in some lights and a switch, and put the mopeds back in.

Friday, November 13, 2009

Everybody's working for the weekend.

When I was in art school, (if Sallie Mae calls for me, the last you heard was that I'm dead), I once did a photo project in which I re-enacted the time that my dad almost cut off his own leg with a skilsaw. During the class critique, my nemesis said, "It's great because you are obviously in a 'construction' costume. Because nobody would ever mistake you for a construction worker." DAMNATION!!! Apparently my good looks and charming nature have outshone my blue-collar roots.

Well, regardless, those winter winds are blowing and if I want to avoid another snow-induced moped shed collapse, I must rebuild it; stronger, larger, and better in every way.

I mentioned in a previous post the UMMU, the unemployed moped mechanics union. Well, again my brother in the union offered to help me with this project and we have been working really hard.

Here is what the old shed looked like:

And here we are on day one of "project shed".

Phil decided to dress as if he were sneaking into a janitors office.

At the end of day one we had accomplished a lot. We had deconstructed the old shed, leveled and set a new floor in, rebuilt much of the rafters, and painted the wall panels.

Today, day two, we continued in earnest. We framed up and installed all the walls:

...and we installed the rafters.

At the end of the day I really had to force myself to stop. We are so close to being done but if I continued I would have burnt myself out. Soon though, my moped shed will be done, beautiful and keep little mopeds away from the rust devil.

In the next couple of weeks, Rosanna and I will be leaving for Palm Springs to work at PSIFF. I just got word from a little bird that there might be a moped trip in Joshua Tree. I'm so excited!

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Breaking it down for you:

So My friend Lailey recently moved to New York and asked me to breakdown her moped so that it could be shipped over there. I thought, "Hey! I could timelapse the entire process and then there would be a video of a moped being completely stripped online. I don't think I've ever seen that before."

So I went to all the effort of setting up my camera and hooking it directly to my computer so I wouldn't have to record onto tape media, etc.

Everything was going great... and then my computer crashed in the middle of it and I lost all but the first 42 seconds.

Oh well, at least I have a short video of the first time I used my workbench and some video of Rosanna printing some business cards.