Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Oh the things I've been doing in my gas fumie (fumey? FUMEE? HOW DO YOU SPELL FUME WITH A Y SOUND?) shop.

So I thought to myself. I have this General parts bike sitting in the demolished moped shack. I should get it going. since I don't have anything else to do with my day, I tend to attack mopeds trance-like and snap out of the trance when the day is done and I have tranny fluid and grime all over myself.

So, El General, as I now am calling it, has come quite a ways.
Here is what it looked like when I got it.
DSC_2910
It was in pretty rough shape.

The first thing I did was to take apart the engine and completely inspect it, clean it, ascertain whether it would need new seals and bearings etcetera.
Everything looked good, I unglazed the clutch, everything spun nicely, and I slapped it back together.
general 8

I am constantly amazed at how a moped can be completely trashed but when you crack open the sealed parts- lights, clutch case, electrical, etc.- it all looks immaculate.
I took a razor to the tank and scraped off the old sticker residue with great success, I tore all of the blinkers off, as well as the unnecessary wiring and lights and broken handle bar controls.
These generals had a really complicated wiring system. No thanks.
general 6

So I worked on simplifying and cleaning this bike for a while. I pulled the carb apart and compared the stock 12mm slide to the Dellorto 18mm slide. Man, stock bikes are slow.
general 4

We'll see how much progress I make on this bike in the next week. I have big plans for it. 80cc big.

More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment